Setting goals or targets in any aspect of life can be both rewarding and disappointing. I believe that they can have a positive impact providing they are realistic and (mostly) achievable.
However, in both 2013 and 2014 I found my targets to be too specific. So in 2015, rather than set targets, I laid out plans for the year. These worked quite well so I did the same again in 2016. However, in 2017 and 2018 my plans have been simplified even more to allow me to tackle the pile of WIPs and UFOs screaming for attention.
1) MUST complete one small project each month for the Smalls SAL
2) TRY TO finish at least 12 WIPs from my 2015/2016 Challenge pieces
3) POSSIBLY start and finish 5 new projects during the year
4) MUST decrease the number of finished pieces in my Box Of Shame
5) POSSIBLY work on a couple of larger projects
1) MUST complete one small project each month for the Smalls SAL - ACHIEVED
2) TRY TO finish at least 12 WIPs from my 2015/2016 Challenge pieces - FINISHED 11/12
3) POSSIBLY start and finish 6 new projects during the year - STARTED 4 (one large) FINISHED 3
4) MUST decrease the number of finished pieces in my Box Of Shame - ACHIEVED BUT ONLY BY A NET OF 6!
5) POSSIBLY work on a couple of larger projects - NO!
1) MUST start all 31 DUCJC projects in January (and finish as many as possible!) - ACHIEVED and 26 completed
2) MUST start and complete a small Lizzie-Kate or similar ornament each month - ACHIEVED
3) MUST complete the April A-Z challenge - ACHIEVED
4) POSSIBLY have five new starts - ACHIEVED - Summer Bird, Ghost, Seahorse, Halloween, Dolphin, Mini Midnight Manor, October Fairy (and all 7 have been finished too!)
5) HOPEFULLY decrease the number of Orphans in my Box of Shame - ACHIEVED - although there's still a lot more to do
6) POSSIBLY work on my five big WIPs - FAILED
8) WISH TO start Scarlet Macaw preening (third time lucky) - ACHIEVED - 22nd March 2016
TOTAL 2016 TARGETS ACHIEVED 7/8
1) stick to the £16(ish) a month Stitch From Stash budget! - ACHIEVED - January through to September; FAILED October, November, December.
2) start all 31 DUCJC projects in January (hope to finish 6 during the year) - ACHIEVED - all 31 started and 10 completed
3) start and complete each Lizzie-Kate Monthly Flip-It Stamp during the relevant month - ACHIEVED - each month
4) restart and stitch Scarlet Macaw Preening each month as part of A New Stitchy Start 2015 SAL -FAILED - still looking for the right fabric.
5) continue Mini The Owrd Lord - FAILED didn't stitch any
6) continue Dolphin Ruins - FAILED didn't stitch any
7) continue OMG Tigger is outside - ACHIEVED - stitched a tiny bit in April and May
8) probably start Owls In Love - ACHIEVED - started 16th October and finished 8th December
9) probably start Dragon Eye - ACHIEVED - started 17th October
10) probably start some more of my smaller charts - ACHIEVED - as 28 new starts in February for DSDUCJFC. 7 have been completed
11) possibly work on QS Come Softly - FAILED didn't stitch any
12) possibly work on Mini Bookworm Fairy - FAILED didn't stitch any
13) possibly work on Mini One - FAILED didn't stitch any
14) definitely suspend QS Emerald Dragon - ACHIEVED!
15) definitely suspend SK The History of Chocolate - ACHIEVED!
16) definitely suspend QS Fairy With Butterfly Mask - ACHIEVED!
There seems to be an awful lot there, but I have a good mixture of old, new, large and small projects, as well as those that will be completed or just worked on. Afterall, variety is supposed to be the spice of life!
TOTAL 2015 TARGETS ACHIEVED 10/16
WIP 1 - QS Emerald Dragon - from 3% to 10% - did not stitch any
WIP 2 - SK The History of Chocolate - from 41% to 75% - stitched to 43%
WIP 3 - QS Hang in There - from 52% to 100% - 100% target achieved 26th August 2014
WIP 4 - QS Come Softly - from 12% to 25% - stitched to 18%
WIP 5 - Mini Bookworm Fairy - from 9% to 20% - stitched to 15%
WIP 6 - Mini The Owrd Lord - from 3% to 10% - stitched to 5%
WIP 7 - QS Fairy With Butterfly Mask - from 9% to 20% - stitched to 18%
WIP 8 - New start - Big Eyes Kitty - stitch 100% - 100% target achieved 6th April 2014
WIP 9 - New start - Scarlet Macaw Preening - stitch 5% - discarded after 3%
WIP 10 - New start - Mini One - stitch 15% - stitched to 7%
New start if I finish Hang in There - Dolphin Ruins - stitch 5% - 8% target achieved
New start if I finish Big Eyes Kitty - A Taste of Tuscany - stitch 50% - 100% target achieved 14th August 2104
Additional start and finish - Start Trek TNG - completed 9th October 2014
Additional finish - Autumnal Abstract pulled from my UFO pile - completed 16th November 2014
TOTAL 2014 TARGETS ACHIEVED 4/12 + 2 additional
WIP 1 - Rainbow Rose - from 40% to 100% - target achieved April 2013
WIP 2 - Celtic Christmas - from 70% to 100% - target achieved 15th October 2013
WIP 3 - New start - QS Emerald Dragon - stitch 10% - only 3% stitched
WIP 4 - New start - SK The History of Chocolate - stitch 40% - 41% target achieved
WIP 5 - New start - QS Hang in there - stitch 50% - 52% target achieved
WIP 6 - New start - QS Come Softly - stitch 10% - 12% target achieved
WIP 7 - New start - Mini Bookworm Fairy - stitch 10% - only 9% stitched
WIP 8 - New start - Mini The Owrd Lord - stitch 5% - only 3% stitched
WIP 9 - New start - QS Fairy With Butterfly Mask - stitch 15% - only 9% stitched
WIP 10 - New start - TBC - stitch 10% - did not start
New start if I finish Rainbow Rose - stitch 5% - did not start
New start if I finish Celtic Christmas - stitch 2% - did not start
TOTAL 2013 TARGETS ACHIEVED 5/12